Polybutylene Pipe Replacement
Polybutylene Pipe Replacement & Water Service Repair
Most polybutylene pipe – also referred to as “water service pipe” or “yard service pipe” or “poly pipe” is underground. It is the pipe that carries water from the street into the house that is installed in and around homes in the greater Baltimore area. There is also some polybutylene pipe installed inside the home plumbing system, but it is not common in the Baltimore area. To learn more about our polybutylene pipe replacement services please contact us today.
Polybutylene pipe is a blue (or gray) plastic pipe manufactured by the Shell Oil Corporation. It was installed in homes between approximately 1978 and 1995 – mostly in new construction – but it was also used to replace water services in older homes as well. It was found that chlorine added to sanitize our drinking water reacts with the polybutylene making it brittle. All polybutylene pipes will fail for this reason. It is just a question of when it will happen… not if it will. I typically see a surge in polybutylene pipe replacement when the seasons change. The ground changes temperature and so does our potable water. The change in temperature causes the “Big Blue” to expand or contract aggravating its weakness.
Why should I have my polybutylene pipe replaced?
There are several advantages to being proactive about polybutylene pipe replacement…
- If a break occurs in the foundation wall, or near it, you could have water damage which could include personal property damage i.e. carpets, furniture, walls, even AC, and heating equipment.
- Also, the new asbestos of our time is mold. Water not properly cleaned up can lead to mold growing in your walls and under your carpets. The spores get into your ductwork system and are distributed around the house causing health risks.
- A break outside the home can cause the earth to be washed away from under sidewalks and driveways causing them to crack or even give way.
- Most homes sold undergo a home inspection. Most buyers will negotiate the replacement of the pipe before purchasing the property as they are aware of the potential hazards of leaving the pipe in service.
- You could end up with a huge water bill. I have had customers who have received water bills in excess of $600.00 because of this pipe leaking underground and undetected.
- Polybutylene pipe replacement that is done before a break often turns out much better aesthetically and usually costs less, too. You can plan when to do it rather than in an emergency type of repair. Five Star Plumbing Services offers discounts to customers who pre-schedule their polybutylene pipe replacement.
Do I have Polybutylene Pipe?
Here are some ways you can tell if you have a polybutylene pipe for your water service pipe…
- If you see any blue plastic pipe where your water service enters the home.
- If you see a gray plastic fitting when your water service pipe enters the home.
- Some poly is totally hidden underground. We would have to come out and check for you.
Other ways to tell would include a summary of info such as…
- My house was built between 1978 and 1995.
- My neighbors on my street or in my neighborhood have had it replaced.
- I have a higher than usual water bill.
- My yard is always wet.
- My sump pump runs too much.
- The front wall of my basement is damp or wet.
Why should I choose Five Star Plumbing Servies to replace my Polybutylene Pipe?
- Over 95% of all our polybutylene pipe replacements are trenchless.
- All polybutylene pipe replacement comes with a 10-year warranty for material and labor.
- There are few that do a better job than Five Star Plumbing Services!
Areas We Serve for Water Main Breaks
Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Abingdon, Bel Air, Belcamp, Benson, Churchville, Darlington, Edgewood, Fallston, Forest Hill, Gunpowder, Havre De Grace, Jarrettsville, Joppa, Perryman, Pylesville, Street, White Hall, and Whiteford
Arbutus, Bowleys Quarters, Carney, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Dundalk, Edgemere, Essex, Garrison, Hampton, Kingsville, Lochearn, Lutherville, Middle River, Overlea, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Pikesville, Randallstown, Reisterstown, Rosedale, Rossville, Towson, and White Marsh
Don’t see your town or city listed? Call us at Call (410) 836-0118 for immediate service!
Learn More About Us. Your Local Plumbers.
If you’re looking for local plumbers you’re in the right place. Five Star Plumbing Services is owned and operated by Master Plumber Chris Larichiuta. Chris and his team can handle any plumbing repair or installation. Some key points when you compare us to other local plumbers in the Baltimore area:
- Locally owned and operated for nearly 30 years
- BBB Accredited Local Plumbers with an A+ Rating (since 2000)
- Licensed, bonded, and insured Master Plumbers
- One of the longest material and labor warranties in the plumbing industry
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
- 2 hr appointment window (you don’t have to wait all day for a plumber to show up..we know your time is valuable)
- Fully stocked trucks…a plumber’s warehouse on wheels…plenty of parts on hand to complete over 90% of all plumbing repairs
- Service available 7 days a week with no overtime charge
- Courteous, friendly, expert plumber
As local plumbers, our service area includes Baltimore County and Harford County, including but not limited to Bel Air, Abingdon, Fallston, Towson, Baltimore, Parkville, Lutherville, and Timonium. We offer 2 hour appointment windows so you don’t have to wait all day – no matter where in the area that you are located. We offer many different services, including well pump services, water treatment, plumbing repair and installation, outdoor plumbing services, drain cleaning, and water heater services.
Hire the Local Plumbers You Can Count On
Call (410) 836-0118 for immediate service. If you have an installation or repair that isn’t pressing, you may want to use our contact form, and we’ll get back to you shortly.
Five Star Plumbing Services
P.O. Box 1612
Bel Air, MD 21014
Tel: (410) 836-0118
Service areas include the greater area including but not limited to Bel Air, Towson, Baltimore, Parkville, Lutherville, and Timonium. We offer 2 hour appointment windows so you don’t have to wait all day – no matter where in the Baltimore area that you are located. We offer many different services, including well pump services, water treatments, indoor plumbing, outdoor plumbing, drain cleaning and also water heater services.
Five Star Plumbing Services is owned and operated by Chris Larichiuta, a master plumber in good standing in the state of Maryland. Five Star Plumbing Service is one of the Better Business Bureau’s A+ rated plumbing contractors.
Give us a call today! Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed!