How to Prevent Mold After Water DamageFrom Five Star Plumbing Services Inc
Water damage is tough to remove because it may seep into the building components and remain there for days if not thoroughly dried. Persistent wetness can jeopardize the structures’ structural integrity and weaken the walls and floors. Mold is one of the most pernicious results of water damage. If you are not vigilant and take preventive steps soon after the water has been removed, you will have to deal with mold infestation. At Five Star Plumbing, a residential plumbing company in Harford County, we wanted to share with you some helpful tips on ways to prevent mold from growing after water damage.
Understanding the Growth and Effects of Mold
Mold can grow anywhere with all or a combination of water, oxygen, food, and warmth. The most common areas where mold can develop are in basements, crawl spaces, underneath and around building foundations, and attics.
Wherever mold growth is present, it can cause damage to structural integrity, leading to possible structural collapse. Many structural issues caused by water damage can be prevented through proper maintenance and repair procedures.
Water damage can also cause problems with electrical systems and wiring as well as an interruption in air circulation, thus causing pipes to become exposed to high moisture levels which lead to rot and bacteria growth.
The presence of mold in the home is a sign of unhealthy living conditions that need attention. It is imperative that you make repairs as soon as possible in order to prevent the problem from spreading any further.
How to Prevent Mold After Water Damage
If you notice water damage in your home, there are several things you can do to prevent mold from forming:
1. Shut off the water valves in the area where flooding has occurred – This ensures that the water does not cause further damage and that the water supply in your home is turned off.
2. Reduce the humidity level in your home – If you have a humidifier or air conditioner, make sure it is turned off at this point. If you do not, open windows to allow fresh air to circulate in your home and turn on fans to move air out.
3. Clean up any standing water as soon as possible – Use mops and towels to soak up any standing water and remove any wet items from your home including wet furniture, carpeting, etc.
4. Know where and how water is getting into your home – Water may come from rain, leaking pipes, sprinklers, or sump pumps. Know where each fixture is and make sure you place anything that will allow water (faucets, toilets, etc.) in the highest point of your home, if possible.
5. Inspect to ensure there are no sources of mold growth – Take note of the following:
- Find out what chemicals were used to cleanse the structure after flooding occurred. If there was a chlorine source present at any time while this damage was occurring, it can increase the likelihood of further health problems in your home with recurring exposure.
- Inspect walls and floors for evidence of mold growth
- Check under the tiles in your bathroom and kitchen
- Make sure there is no standing water in your basement or crawl space.
- Check your doors and windows to make sure they are weatherproofed and draft-free.
6. Obtain a proper mold assessment to determine any further mitigation efforts that may be necessary. After you’ve taken these steps, call a professional mold assessor who can identify any further damage and help you to develop a plan of action, including how to remediate the area properly.
In conclusion, mold is a problem that needs to be treated as soon as possible. If you suspect mold growth in your home, contact a mold assessment specialist immediately to determine the extent of contamination and the steps necessary to ensure a healthy living environment within your home.
About Five Star Plumbing
If you need residential or commercial plumbing services in Harford County or Baltimore County contact Five Star Plumbing! We will take care of it! As local plumbers, our service area includes Baltimore County and Harford County, including but not limited to Bel Air, Abingdon, Fallston, Towson, Baltimore, Parkville, Lutherville, and Timonium. We offer 2 hour appointment windows so you don’t have to wait all day – no matter where in the area that you are located. We offer many different services, including well pump services, water treatment, plumbing repair and installation, outdoor plumbing services, drain cleaning, and water heater services.