Types of Pipe Fittings and Their Use
To most homeowners, pipe fittings are one of the more foreign aspects of their plumbing. Pipe fittings are attached to the ends of pipes and allow the pipes to change direction and change in diameter. There are a ton of different types of pipe fittings and all of them are essential to ensure that your plumbing works properly and effectively. Here are the different types of pipe fittings and their use:
Types of Pipe Fittings
- Elbows: Elbows are used to change the direction of the pipe.
- Street Elbows: Street elbows are best used in tight spots. Most commonly used in galvanized steel and copper pipe.
- Tee Fittings: Tee fittings allow for your lines to branch out.
- Couplings: Couplings are used to join two different pipe branches.
- Bushings: Bushings make the diameter of a pipe fitting smaller, in a much more abrupt way than reducers.
- Reducers: Reducers are used to join pipes that are different diameters. Reducers offer a gradual change in diameter.
- Adaptors: Mostly used in copper and plastic plumbing jobs, adaptor fittings are used to change the ends of non-threaded pipes to threaded ones.
- Unions: Unions are used to join pipes together that are unable to move.
- Plugs: Plugs are used for pipe fittings that are good access points for cleaning.
- Caps: Caps are used on dead end pipes to close them.
- Nipples: Short lengths of pipe threaded at both ends.
- Valves: Valves control the flow of liquid or gas in your pipes.
- Wyes: Wyes are used to get inside of your DWV(drain-waste-vent) systems.
About Five Star Plumbing
In the event that you see any of these signs that your pipes need to be cleaned or repaired, Five Star Plumbing will take care of it! As local plumbers, our service area includes Baltimore County and Harford County, including but not limited to Bel Air, Abingdon, Fallston, Towson, Baltimore, Parkville, Lutherville, and Timonium. We offer 2 hour appointment windows so you don’t have to wait all day – no matter where in the area that you are located. We offer many different services, including well pump services, water treatment, plumbing repair and installation, outdoor plumbing services, drain cleaning, and water heater services.